Please log in to your account here to participate in the forums, or alternatively register!

I'm confused

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm confused

Post by Zoda on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am

Ok, question. Why does it seem like games like Call of Duty and Halo make everyone go "ERMAHGERD TEH AWESOMENESSES!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN!", yet when it comes to good games like Team Fortress 2 people are like "Ermahgerd Team Fortress 2? That shits for babbys!" Like seriously? Dafuq is wrong with people? Don't get me wrong,. I enjoy COD and HALO, I just don't understand why they get all the damn spotlight.

Dedicated Member

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm confused

Post by MarioCrazy32 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 am

Its the graphics. Most COD and Halo players think that the graphics are cartoon-ish. But that's the reason I think TF2 has its charm as has aged well.
MarioCrazy32
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post by TENTACLE_BOSS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 am

ZodaFTW wrote:Ok, question. Why does it seem like games like Call of Duty and Halo make everyone go "ERMAHGERD TEH AWESOMENESSES!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN!", yet when it comes to good games like Team Fortress 2 people are like "Ermahgerd Team Fortress 2? That shits for babbys!" Like seriously? Dafuq is wrong with people? Don't get me wrong,. I enjoy COD and HALO, I just don't understand why they get all the damn spotlight.

Simple, its ignorance, hype, and a new generation.
If I recall, MW3 was sponsored by the U.S military, and had one of the biggest budgets a game ever had, (if not the single biggest) yet the gameplay didn't really change all that much. The money was pumped into big advertising campaigns. It is also a case of sequelitis, their fanboys of the original title will get it no matter what because it is essentially an extension of whatever the thing was that they knew or loved beforehand, a household name if you will, (like mario) those people will always buy into it good or bad because they have an association with the brand.

Also, it appeals to a new generation of mostly kids, who probably got games like MW1 as their first ever fps's. They probably lack that experience we have with older games, and if they have any, they probably will prefer CoD for superficial reasons like the graphics, despite the repetition of environments, textures, and colour gradients. In short, they have low standards, and will religiously defend those standards to the point of claiming that anything that isn't exactly like that one thing they devote themselves to, is simply bad, no questions asked, and probably stated with a lack of experience with the thing they are judging, because they do not familiarise with it, like they would their beloved CoD.

Finally I would argue the reverse, they may state that TF2 is a casual game because of the art style, I would argue that Cod is a casual FPS. The tactics are simple and repetitive, powerful guns lack any decent recoil, cheapness prevails (see: quickscoping, camping, noobtubing, imbalanced perks and rifles)
and many guns have a form of aim assistance upon aiming near an enemy down the iron sight, finally it is more populated by prepubescents than tf2 seems to be. (I say that as a 10th prestige in MW2 back when I played that, and with close to 1500 hours into TF2) TF2 is casual just because of the art style you say? Pssh, fuck off.

They get the airtime simply because that is where the money is at. Investors gravitate to its simplicity because simplicity sells to simpletons, they pay for the advertising with outrageous budgets, and an investor looks for a profit, they don't care about a quality product, just one that sells. In other words, why take risks when your money is on the line? Hence all the clones of the mundane CoD sludge you have seen in the past 5 or so years.

This is why people need to support the indie market more, they deserve your money, lack budget, and have the ability to take risks, take community input, and innovate. Vote with your wallet.

TENTACLE_BOSS
Pokemon Elder
Pokemon Elder

http://mops.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSexyKitty on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 am

TENTACLE_BOSS wrote:
ZodaFTW wrote:Ok, question. Why does it seem like games like Call of Duty and Halo make everyone go "ERMAHGERD TEH AWESOMENESSES!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN!", yet when it comes to good games like Team Fortress 2 people are like "Ermahgerd Team Fortress 2? That shits for babbys!" Like seriously? Dafuq is wrong with people? Don't get me wrong,. I enjoy COD and HALO, I just don't understand why they get all the damn spotlight.

Simple, its ignorance, hype, and a new generation.
If I recall, MW3 was sponsored by the U.S military, and had one of the biggest budgets a game ever had, (if not the single biggest) yet the gameplay didn't really change all that much. The money was pumped into big advertising campaigns. It is also a case of sequelitis, their fanboys of the original title will get it no matter what because it is essentially an extension of whatever the thing was that they knew or loved beforehand, a household name if you will, (like mario) those people will always buy into it good or bad because they have an association with the brand.

Also, it appeals to a new generation of mostly kids, who probably got games like MW1 as their first ever fps's. They probably lack that experience we have with older games, and if they have any, they probably will prefer CoD for superficial reasons like the graphics, despite the repetition of environments, textures, and colour gradients. In short, they have low standards, and will religiously defend those standards to the point of claiming that anything that isn't exactly like that one thing they devote themselves to, is simply bad, no questions asked, and probably stated with a lack of experience with the thing they are judging, because they do not familiarise with it, like they would their beloved CoD.

Finally I would argue the reverse, they may state that TF2 is a casual game because of the art style, I would argue that Cod is a casual FPS. The tactics are simple and repetitive, powerful guns lack any decent recoil, cheapness prevails (see: quickscoping, camping, noobtubing, imbalanced perks and rifles)
and many guns have a form of aim assistance upon aiming near an enemy down the iron sight, finally it is more populated by prepubescents than tf2 seems to be. (I say that as a 10th prestige in MW2 back when I played that, and with close to 1500 hours into TF2) TF2 is casual just because of the art style you say? Pssh, fuck off.

They get the airtime simply because that is where the money is at. Investors gravitate to its simplicity because simplicity sells to simpletons, they pay for the advertising with outrageous budgets, and an investor looks for a profit, they don't care about a quality product, just one that sells. In other words, why take risks when your money is on the line? Hence all the clones of the mundane CoD sludge you have seen in the past 5 or so years.

This is why people need to support the indie market more, they deserve your money, lack budget, and have the ability to take risks, take community input, and innovate. Vote with your wallet.

Nice text clusterfuck you have there :3 But mew makes sense... people should over analyse things like mew and me then they will understand life :3

Pokemon Champion
Pokemon Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top